Nextonic is seeking a highly ambitious, adaptable, structured, and detail-oriented Deputy Chief of Staff to join our vibrant team at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) supporting the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) located in Bethesda, MD.
Overall Position Summary and Objectives: The Deputy Chief of Staff will assist the Division of Cardiovascular Sciences (DCVS) Chief of Staff in providing oversight and execution of significant management and administrative functions within the DCVS, including analytical and evaluative work associated with extramural activities, communication and coordination with other components of the National Heart, Lung, Blood Institute (NHLBI).
- Work products and documents related to coordinating projects on various components needed from beginning to completion - Daily
- Work products and documents related to maintaining and updating databases and spreadsheets - Daily
- Work products and documents related to reviewing documentation for compliance with policy and procedures; interpret instructions for adherence to format; collect data; provide summaries for analysis and interpretation - Weekly
- Work products related to division performance management - Quarterly
- Work products related to division personnel review process - Bi-Annually
- Work products related to division hiring and recruitment processes - Monthly
- Work products and documents related to performing literature reviews and online searches; complete progress reports; flag potential issues; synthesize and summarize research findings, draft and finalize top line reports and PowerPoint presentations - Weekly
- Work products and documents related to coordinating and disseminating information, providing status updates, and preparing reports - Monthly
- Work products and documents related to travel and training budget as needed - Bi-Weekly
- Work products and documents related to the process of memorandums - Ad-Hoc
- Work products related to the smooth operations of the Division - Daily
- Provides analysis and advisory services regarding management functions.
- Aids in providing oversight and execution of significant management and administrative functions within the DCVS, including analytical and evaluative work associated with extramural activities, communication and coordination with other components of NHLBI.
- Serves as an advisor to the DCVS Chief of Staff, managing the flow of process and administrative information to and from the program areas DCVS OD and prioritizes issues for the Chief of Staff's attention.
- Prepares a variety of management and administrative studies to analyze and evaluate internal procedures, policies, processes and systems for the purpose of improving efficiency.
- Document findings of studies and prepare recommendations for implementation of new systems, procedures and organizational changes.
- Design literature reviews and online searches around research topics as needed.
- Conduct project close out reviews to reflect on current processes and identify areas for improvement.
- Reviews and comments on new or proposed changes to existing policies, procedures or systems.
- Conduct assessments of standard operating procedures (SOP) and prepares recommendations for improvement.
- Serves as a member of a number of division and NHLBI-wide Committees, whose purpose is to improve a number of workflow and software systems for a variety of processes.
- Prepares reports in the areas of budget, procurement, HR, travel, etc.
- Review operational and programmatic budget data and provide analysis of obligation and spending.
- Maintain and update the division travel and training budget, notifying the chief of staff of any emergent needs.
- Reviews policy and regulation that governs the activities performed in the program.
- Draft policy statements and present to upper management as requested.
- Lead and coordinate designated projects from beginning to completion, with regular check-ins and guidance from Chief of Staff.
- Prepares reports and presentations for meetings.
- Attend routine staff and business meetings for awareness and to take notes for distribution.
- Draft and coordinate communications among staff to facilitate the efficient flow of information related to projects and program activities for the Division.
- Based on Division needs, the incumbent assists in organizing meetings; consulting with Chief of Staff and Division Leadership; and preparing the development of a variety of documents, such as briefing materials, memoranda, letters, analyses, and reports.
- Assist staff with meeting logistics and materials: meetings and teleconferences arrangement and sup- port including scheduling, sending doodle polls, agendas, room reservations, audiovisual equipment and handouts.
- Assist staff in preparing for scientific conferences, workshops, working groups, and site visits as well as review and other advisory group meetings (advisory groups are those such as Council and grant management groups. This entails coordination across NHLBI, including with NHLBI’s Office of Science Policy, Engagement, Education, and Communications (OSPEEC)
- Assist the Council Liaison with grant-related activities.
- Researches and suggests developing areas of management policy.
- Assists operational and program staff identify, capture and evaluate unique performance criteria.
- Performs in-depth analysis and statistical comparison of organizational data and information.
- Use variety of database and data repository software and applications available to search, retrieve and export business and performance data.
- Assist financial managers prepare annual appropriated budget requests.
- Assist program managers prepare annual budgets based on historical and estimated future spending.
- Conduct workforce studies and provide in-depth analysis and reporting.
- Supports the Chief of Staff and Division Leadership in achieving the goals of equal employment opportunity (EEO) by taking positive steps to accomplish affirmative action objectives; including promoting diversity and staff development for the division.
- Works closely with the DCVS Chief of Staff and Administrative Officer to streamline the recruitment and hiring processes within the division.
- Supports the Chief of Staff with the division’s annual personnel review process.
- MS Office
- Project management, website content management
- Meeting minutes/summary reports
- Executive level support
- Outreach Activities
- Data analysis